Thursday 23 February 2012

Leon and Guanajuato

So, last weekend we went with Chad, Tania and Damaris (Tania's sister) to Leon, leather capital of Mexico, and Guanajuato, where Tania comes from.
Well, I don't think I need to tell you how lost I was in the leather capital... I was literally drooling... We went to this street where shops are ALL ABOUT LEATHER. Paradise for a woman basically (or a man to be honest). Then when you think you're entering this little tiny shop, you take two steps more toward the back of the shop only to find a massive leather market. Bags, belts, wallets, shoes, boots... ALL FOR DIRT CHEAP!!!!
Anyway, do you think that's cool? Check this out... Leon is the capital of all outlets of any shoe/bag/belt/leather brand you can imagine. Nike, Sketchers, Hush puppies, Lobo Solo, etc. They're all there...
Can you see this picture on the right? Look behind us... can you see the end of the street? No?
Well, this is the outlet plaza. Every single shop you see left, right, up, down... they're all outlet of shoes. They even have a Crocs outlet!!
Well I couldn't believe it!

Anyway, moving on... we had Chinese buffet before we drove to Guanajuato. It was about 3$ (2.5 GBP). And it was brilliant... all you can eat!

So at around 9pm, we drove to Guanajuato, to Tania's parents house. We got there and we were welcomed like family. Tania's mom was cooking tacos for us, but we were so full from the Chinese that she kept it for breakfast. So we stayed at Tania's brother, who is married to a Japanese Sister. They have the cutest girl, Airi.
So anyway, we had a nice night sleep. Then we had a BIG MASSIVE breakfast with tacos. At first I thought "Hmmm tacos for breakfast...too heavy for me". But then you watch everyone stuffing their faces, and you start drooling. And you give in... and I have to say they were absolutely DELICIOUS!!! I thought I would try only one, and I ended up having three and I had to stop myself...

So we hit the road to drive down to the center of Guanajuato. We parked and we walked nearly the whole city. Well, I have to say that it was absolutely stunning. The buildings, the streets, the smells, the colors... I mean, everything was nearly magic.

We had the best coffee ever... I have never enjoyed a day so much. And that's not only thanks to Guanajuato, but especially thanks to Chad and Tania. You can be in a beautiful place, but it's the company that makes the whole experience perfect. We had so much fun going into shops and just saying "Bartledoo" (I know... one day I'll elaborate) and taking funny pictures always saying "Would you look at that" (again... one day...). The last time I had that much fun was... was... hmmm... I can't remember!

After a whole day walking we went back to the house, to find lovely food, lovely company, lovely... everything!!!! Ate again, slept again...woke up and went for another wonderful coffee and... the best gorditas I've had since I've been here. Again you think "Hhmmm gorditas for breakfast...I don't know about that", but then you go to the stand and you see this wonderful food full of colors and you smell this mixtures of cheese, tomato sauce, peppers, chilli... and you can't say no. And you find yourself eating three instead of one. Best breakfast ever...

So we hit the road again, listened to the WT in the car, had a lot of fun again, got depressed as the lovely weekend ended (sigh), arrived home, went to the KH to help with the general cleaning, went home, had a shower, got dressed, went to the meeting, nearly dozed off (ooppsss)...went back and slept like a baby!

Well, people, if you ever visit Mexico, you need to visit Guanajuato...and don't forget Leon if you want a pair of shoes or a nice leather bag for the field...

Soooo... that's it... we're back to normality (sigh...) looking forward to next time we can hit the road and visit again.

Ciaaaao!!!


1 comment:

  1. LOVED IT. I love how your personality is pouring out again in this post. I miss you guys, even though I'm not too far away from your hometown right now! We'll meet up sooner or later and have a simply smashing time!

    ReplyDelete